Thursday, January 31, 2008

Observations

In a town like this, you wouldn't think it would be that hard to find a nice, clean park to take the kids to play, but it is. Most parks near us are dirty, populated by cussing, pot smoking tweens and teens... beyond us there are parks that are large and busy, so much so that I often lose sight of one of the kids and freak out. Some have many exits and it's hard to keep track of who is coming and who is going (and I'm not just referring to the kids).

Today I found a nice, clean park. It is small and has just one entry/exit, but enough room for the kids to run. It has a lovely large piece of play ground equipment and four swings, with a large bathroom facility, and a covered area to eat. Pretty much anything you could want... what else? Car parking, and lots of trees. I'm very excited, because even though it's not really walking distance, it is close, and I wouldn't feel so intimidated by the idea I might not be able to keep track of the kids.

After we went to the park, we went to get ice cream. That was really fun.

Something odd happened there.

Two very elderly ladies came in and at one point they went to the bathroom. Now they were either sisters or friends, I couldn't tell, but one was definitely not in good shape... the younger one was elderley anyway, but the older one was... well... old. She could barely move but to shuffle, and seemed to be in pain... Anyway, they went to the restroom after we were done, and as we sat and had our ice cream, I realized they hadn't come out yet. I have wondered if one or both were in some kind of distress and should I go in there to check? when they came out of the bathroom. The younger one seemed very patient and careful, and then I realized that the older one hanging heavily on her arm was almost blind, and trying to feel her way. She adjusted her grip on the younger one's arm, and I was so moved I thought, "Now I hope that if I get to be that old, I have a friend who is that patient and kind with me, who will hold my hand if I get blind, and wait for me if I am slow." I marveled at the graciousness of the younger one and hoped that I could learn to be that gentle and loving.
So when the younger one looked up and caught my eye, I tried to give her an encouraging smile. And guess what?

She rolled her eyes at me!

I was floored. Then I found myself praying, "I hope that if I get to be that old, I have a friend who isn't burdened by having to be gracious and patient with me." And, "Dear God, please, please give me the kind of love for others that is the same, whether they're looking or not."

3 comments:

carol said...

Not that we should tire in our graciousness or patience because of it, but............maybe the woman regularly fakes her blindness to get attention from others. Like Scott's dad fakes his deafness (among other things).

Cat said...

you know, I did wonder about that, but in hindsight I wouldn't have thought so, although being an outsider obviously I don't know the situation. I guess what I struggled with the most was that the way she treated the older lady and what she revealed to me seemed to contradict each other.

Heather Pelczar said...

That saddens me,too. I hope the same for myself as you do for yourself. Maybe we'll be old friends that help each other and we won't have to worry about that. Wouldn't that be nice?