Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pipe Dreams

My dad took up cycling a few years back, and has done some long treks. Two years ago he and a friend from France who is also an avid cyclist, cycled from Melbourne to Darwin, through the center of Australia...


View Larger Map

Plus some sideline trips... It's a long way, like 2500 miles.

So I've had this idea that I'd get my butt into shape (literally) and start cycling and do a trip with him. Inspired by the 1930's and 40's John Wayne westerns that I grew up watching, I thought it would be fun to cycle through this part of the U.S.



These are some options for adventures I thought we could do...

This would start at the northern rim of the Grand Canyon in Arizona, go up through Zion and several other National Parks including Arches, down through Bluff to the Monument Valley National Park, Lake Powell and down to the southern rim of the Grand Canyon.


View Larger Map


or maybe:

From the most eastern point of Canada, through Maine to Boston, across to Niagra Falls, and down through the Pennsylvania Dutch Country and up to finish in New York.


View Larger Map

What do you reckon?

6 comments:

PJ said...

I'm inspired. Seems cycling is the latest thing. Mum's getting into it, Mike and I cycle around the Bay within a 20 km radius... it really is good exercise... I say GO FOR IT! :)

Cat said...

Great, but which trip?

Kasey said...

why not both?

Cat said...

Hmm... money, and the fact that these kind of trips normally take 4 weeks to do each.

That, and my father and I are not getting any younger. :P

Unknown said...

I think that I prefer the Grand Canyon trip. I think it would have less traffic than the east coast.

Kasey said...

yeah. grand canyon. do the other by train or something. i don't know if a train goes that route. but if it does, go by train or something.